Lewisham Dementia Action Alliance
Dementia is one of the biggest health challenges Lewisham borough is facing. Everyone affected by dementia will be experiencing it differently. For many, everyday tasks will become more difficult as memory and perception are affected.
There is something we can all do – make our community more dementia-friendly so that people living with dementia - individuals, their carers, their friends and families – can continue to live well.
What is the Lewisham Mental Health of Older Adults & Dementia Community Action Group (MHOAD CAG)?
The Community Action Group (CAG) is a vehicle for our local community to come together to turn understanding into action and improve the area and its offer for local residents living with dementia and older adults experiences mental health problems. This group consists of different local voluntary services, community groups and individuals coming together every 6 weeks to discuss and share information relevant to older adults living in the borough of Lewisham. It was previously known as the Lewisham Dementia Action Alliance Group but in September 2021 changed its name. The CAG acts as a regular forum for consultation, providing opportunities for information sharing between statutory and voluntary service providers, service users and commissioners. Community awareness, practical action and education are also some of the tools that we use to impact lives.
The focus of information sharing within the CAG is all about priorities, developments and improvements in Older Adults services in the borough. Examples include:
- Share information regarding priorities within the borough;
- Provide details of important events;
- Consult on a potential service change impacting older adults;
- Distribute communications regarding a new strategy, legislation, or other important documents.
- Be a source of intelligence gathering around the needs of older adults within the community
- Advocate on behalf of service users from feedback we receive
- Help to make businesses and local amenities more dementia friendly
Over the several years that the CAG (formally Lewisham Dementia Action Alliance) has been running we have had great success. We’re working with diverse organisations across the borough to help make a tangible difference for those living with dementia in our communities and beyond.
From domiciliary care agencies to major supermarkets, from leisure centres to public transport, local organisations are signing up to become dementia friendly and individuals across the borough are spreading understanding and transformative action.
How to join
Membership to the CAG is open to any group, organisation, individual or business in Lewisham. All you need to do is identify three actions you and/or your staff can do to help improve the lives of people with dementia in your local area.
This can be something as small as encouraging your staff to become a Dementia Friend, which involves a free one-hour awareness session. You might ask a dementia advocacy group to come to your business/local group and let you know if it is easy for them to navigate, or it could be something simple but practical, such as offering to help someone with dementia with their shopping.
The CAG is here to help you apply and to help you achieve your actions, celebrate your success and share what you learn with others.
If you are based in Lewisham and would like to know more about how to make your community more dementia friendly, please contact the Community Action Group for more details:
Lewisham Dementia Support Hub Manager and Chair of the CAG
- Age Exchange
- Age UK Lewisham and Southwark
- Alzheimer's Society
- Bromley & Lewisham Mind
- Carers Lewisham
- Caribbean Social Forum
- Corbett Residents Association
- Dementia Dialogue
- Deptford Methodist Mission Disabled People's Contact (DPC)
- Diamond Club
- Elder Peoples Support Project
- Fusion Lifestyle
- Good Food Catford
- Grove Park Community Library and Re-use Centre
- Healthwatch Lewisham
- Home Instead Senior Care - Greenwich & Bexley
- Hurley at The Waldron
- Leah Lodge - Cinnamon Care Collection
- Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust
- Lewisham Dementia Support Hub
- Lewisham Disability Coalition
- NHS Lewisham Clinical Commissioning Group and London Borough of Lewisham
- Phoenix Community Housing
- Positive Ageing Council of Lewisham
- Seniors Lewisham
- Share and Care Homeshare
- South London & Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust
- Sydenham Garden
- The Archibald Corbett Community Library, Arts & Heritage Centre
- The Healthy Lifestyle Centre - Community Teachsport Limited
- Wheels for Wellbeing