Southend Dementia Action Alliance
Using a person centred approach to support people from before diagnosis, throughout dementia and through to end of life care. Southend on Sea Borough Council is committed to improving the lives of people living with dementia and their carers and supporting people to live well with dementia.
Southend Borough Council commission a number of services for people with dementia and their carers and are working in partnership with health services, GP’s and voluntary agencies to increase the diagnosis rates in the Borough, ensuring people receive the appropriate information and support at a time best for them to make decisions and access the services they need.
We feel the Southend Dementia Action Alliance will bring people living with dementia, their carers, services and organisations together to enable people to live well with dementia.
Southend on Sea has gained Accreditation as a Dementia Friendly Community. We strive to keep momentum going and grow together throughout the future, to enable people living with dementia and their carers to feel confident knowing they can live their lives with access to the services and support they need to fully participate in community life.
Southend Dementia Action Alliance is a partnership of organisations, individuals, businesses and community groups working together to transform the quality of life for people living with dementia and carers and helping Southend on Sea to become a Dementia Friendly Community.
Cassie Searle - Southend Dementia Action Alliance Co-ordinator, Southend Borough Council.
Nancy Smith – Strategy and Commissioning Officer for Dementia, Southend Borough Council.
Jo Dickinson – Strategy and Commissioning Manager for Mental Health and Dementia, Southend Borough Council.
The Southend Dementia Action Alliance was officially launched in March 2015 following three events to promote the benefits of joining a local DAA. Over 80 local companies, businesses, public services and community groups attended and the events were a platform for us to explain in more detail about the local alliance and our aims to become a Dementia Friendly Community. It gave the participants the chance to ask questions and decide whether to become involved. All those who attended events were treated to a dementia friends information session and are now dementia friends themselves.
- Southend on Sea had gained accreditation to become a Dementia Friendly Community.
- St Martins Care Home Specialist Dementia Garden, which benefits residents and the wider community.
- Southend on Sea Borough Council working towards becoming a Dementia Friendly environment.
- Dementia Friends information sessions throughout the borough.
- Participating in arranged Dementia Themed events including the successful #Essex Dementia Day
- Dementia Friendly Swimming within a local Leisure Centre.
- Dementia Friends Champions: Inspiring individuals in organisations to become Dementia Friends Champions through Southend Dementia Action Alliance events
Held quarterly as a minimum
How to join
Cassie Searle -email@example.com
(Southend Dementia Action Alliance Co ordinator).
- Aarandale Lodge
- Action for Family Carers
- Active Life for a Healthier You
- Admiral Court Care Home – Hallmark Care Homes
- AGE Concern Southend on Sea
- Alzheimer’s Society Southend, Castlepoint and Rochford
- AVENUE BAPTIST CHURCH
- Bluebird Care (Southend & Rochford)
- CARERS CHOICES,
- Catherine Miller House
- Churchgate Healthcare
- Citizens Advice Southend
- Community Action Project for the Elderley
- Cooper Lingard Solicitors
- East of England Ambulance Service NHS Trust
- Eastern County Care
- Essex County Fire and Rescue Service
- Essex Police (Southend)
- Estuary Housing Association Limited
- Fusion Lifestyle
- Garon Park Community Interest Company
- Havens Hospices
- Hippo Cabs (part of Advatech Health)
- Home Instead Senior Care Southend-On-Sea
- Jade Euro Med Ltd
- Kalsons Chemists
- London Southend Airport
- Oaklands Surgery
- Olympus KeyMed Group Companies
- Pall Mall Surgery
- Poppy Lodge Care Home
- Project 49
- Runwood Homes (Crowstone House)
- Runwood Homes (Kathryn Court)
- Runwood Homes Ltd (Longview)
- Samaritans of Southend on Sea
- School of Health & Human Sciences, University of Essex
- Shoeburyness and Thorpe Bay Baptist Church
- South East and Central Essex Mind
- South Essex Care and Health Association (SECHA)
- South Essex Homes
- South Essex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust (SEPT)
- Southend Association of Voluntary Services (SAVS)
- Southend Care Limited
- Southend Carers
- Southend Older People’s Assembly
- Southend on Sea Borough Council
- Southend Theatres
- Southend University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
- Southend-on-Sea Borough Council Public Health Team
- SPDNS Nurse Care CIC
- St Aidan’s Church (Church of England)
- St Luke’s Church and Centre
- The Peaceful Place
- The Southend on Sea Darby & Joan organisation
- Thorpe Bay Methodist Church
- Tram Stop Shelter
- Trust Links
- Waitrose Southend-on-Sea
- Wesley Methodist Church