Reading Dementia Action Alliance
Reading DAA officially launched on 24th February 2012
Reading DAA aims to promote and sustain the town as a dementia friendly community and to this end we will:
- Seek membership from businesses, services, the care sector and organisations both in the town centre and the wider community.
- Ensure that the voices of people with dementia, their carers and families are heard in order to inform the work of Reading DAA.
- Raise awareness of dementia across local communities.
- Develop dementia friendly communities for people with dementia so that their interaction with local businesses, shops and care providers is as pleasant and stress-free as possible.
Reading DAA is looking for new members to support its aim to make Reading a dementia friendly community. The current steering group includes representatives from Reading Borough Council, local businesses, the care sector and transport. The group aims to oversee the sustainability of the alliance going forward and monitor progress. It meets 4 -5 times a year and anyone who is interested in joining is invited to get in touch, meetings are held in central Reading.
- Many local organisatoins have become Dementia Friends by attending a short awareness-raising session run by a Dementia Champion.
- Town Walks - gentle strolls round Reading town centre for people with dementia and their friends or carers, taking in points of interest and shops, finishing with tea. Participants can then discuss their findings about how accessible and friendly the town centre is.
- Shops and offices are being offered booklets published by Alzheimers Society 'How to help people with dementia' and will shortly be encouraged to display 'Dementia Friendly' stickers
- We are currently seeking to achieve official Demenentia Friendly Community status.
To sign up to alliance and find out more please contact:
- Age UK Berkshire
- Age UK Reading
- Alzheimer's Society
- BARRETT & CO SOLICITORS LLP
- Blandy & Blandy LLP
- Clifton Ingram LLP Solicitors
- Enabled Healthcare
- Health Education Thames Valley
- Helpd Ltd
- Home Instead Senior Care - Reading
- Progress Theatre
- Q1Care Ltd
- Reading Borough Council
- Reading Buses - Reading Transport Ltd
- Reading Libraries (Reading Borough Council)
- Reading Voluntary Action
- Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue Service (RBFRS)
- South Central Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust
- St. Lukes Care Home
- The Oracle Shopping Centre