Bristol Dementia Action Alliance
Registered as a Dementia Friendly Community
Bristol DAA was launched on 9th July 2013 following a public meeting asking the question “Is Bristol a Dementia Friendly City?”We decided to use the Purple Angel Campaign as introduced by Norms MacNamara of Torbay Dementia Action Alliance as our delivery tool.
The format and content of this meeting formed the basis for roadshow, which we take to strategic places in the city enabling everyone to be included.
We also use Dementia Friends, an Alzheimer's Society initiative.
In June 2016, BDAA became a registered Charitable Incorporated Organisation (CIO) registration number 1167404.
Our aim is to enable Bristol to become “The Dementia Friendly City of the UK” by :-
• using the Purple Angel Campaign and Dementia Friends as our two main tools to increase Dementia awareness and create a Dementia Friendly City.
• running “Roadshows” in strategic locations in Bristol with the aim of spreading Dementia awareness and getting “buy-In “ from local people
• visiting schools, uniformed organisations, youth clubs etc. to increase Dementia awareness
• running stalls at local markets,fairs,boot sales and other events
• supporting Dementia Awareness Days and Dementia Awareness Week
• supporting Memory Walks
• helping people to link up with organisations offering help and support to people with Dementia and their carers.
• Working shoulder to shoulder with any group,organisation or individual seeking to help or support those people with Dementia and their carers.
The group is chaired by Tony Hall – who is also carer for his wife Barbara who has had Frontal Temporal Dementia since 1999 and a steering group.
Apart from the annual meeting, others are called as and when required with our focus on actions.,
In order to increase Dementia awareness, BDAA has undertaken projects as per our action plan, plus
· Supporting local people with dementia.
· Encouraging other areas to become dementia friendly.
· Campaigning for better care, activities and entertainment in care homes for people with dementia.
- Supporting people living with Dementia e.g. Happy Days Memory Cafe
· Continuing to promote awareness both in UK and abroad.
· Working together with and alongside other Dementia care organisations and groups e.g Alzheimer’s Society, BRACE, Carer’s Support Group etc.
· enabled over 700 small independent retailers to become Purple Angels having made their staff Dementia Aware using our “Guide to Understanding Dementia” guide.
· run a Dementia Awareness Day
- created almost 2000 Dementia Friends
· supported the launch of other DAAs
- created The Avon & Somerset Dementia Forum
· reached out to schools
· Run over 50 workshops with Uniformed Organisations e,g. Brownies / Scouts
· Run several “Is Bristol a Dementia Friendly City?” roadshows
· Supported carers and people with dementia and supply assistance in all areas where possible.
How to join
If you interested in joining, becoming a volunteer or require more information, please see our website or contact Tony Hall on:
- Barcan+Kirby LLP
- Bristol Culture
- Bristol Dementia Action Alliance
- Bristol Music Trust
- Caring Comes 1st Ltd
- Cholwell House Nursing Home Ltd
- Clarke Willmott
- Good Brain Gang
- Greenway Community Practice
- Growing Support
- Mowbray Woodwards
- Oak Tree Mobility
- The Unlimited Company
- Watkins Solicitors incorporating Brain Sinnott & Co
- Wessex Water
- Westbury Baptist Church
- Western Power Distribution