Portishead Dementia Action Alliance
Portishead Dementia Action Alliance formed in July 2013 and launched in November 2013 alongside Weston & Worle and Clevedon. Trina Brown, a Dementia Support Worker/Dementia Action Alliance Coordinator, started the work of the Alliance in May 2013 undergoing in-depth consultation with people living in Portishead with dementia, their family, friends and carers. In July the first steering group meeting took place which highlighted some fantastic ideas and small changes that could be made to improve the lives of people living with dementia in their local community.
The steering group is made up of carers and former carers, people living with dementia, Portishead Rotary Club, Residents of Portishead, Senior Citizen Forum, Walnut Grove, Parish Wharf Leisure Centre, Open Air Swimming Pool, Wiltshire Farm Foods, Home Instead, Jubilee Day Centre, Portishead Churches, Alzheimer’s Society and North Somerset Council. Our group is committed to working towards making Portishead Dementia Friendly. Our Alliance welcomes new members and volunteers to continue the important work of the alliance.
Portishead Dementia Action Alliance is aiming to improve the lives of people living with dementia in Portishead and the surrounding areas.
To do this, we plan to:
- To develop Dementia Friendly Communities for people with dementia, their carers and families, voluntary and statutory services, businesses and the wider community. (National Dementia Strategy 2009 – Living well with dementia; Prime Minister’s Challenge on Dementia 2012 – 2015; Dementia 2012 – A National Challenge).
- To seek membership from businesses and organisations in and around Portishead.
- To assist in the formation of other Dementia Action Alliances.
- To establish and maintain effective support through information sharing networks.
- To ensure that the voices of people with dementia, their carers and families are heard and guide the work of the Dementia Action Alliance.
- To raise awareness of dementia across local communities.
- To work towards necessary improvements to enable people with dementia and carers to live independently.
Steering group meetings are held at least 4 times a year. If you would like to attend one of these open meetings, please get in touch for dates, times and venue. Minutes are available on request.
- Consultation – We have undertaken consultation in and around Portishead listening to the views of people living with dementia and their carers, families and friends on how they feel their community could become more dementia friendly.
- Coin recognition chart and information sheet.
If you would like coin charts to display in your business or shop please get in touch with your local Alliance. Please see link below of the coin charts being displayed Portishead Waitrose.
- Dementia Friends awareness/information sessions run by local Dementia Champions
- Booklets with information for customer facing staff on 'How to help people with Dementia'
How to join
Portishead Dementia Action Alliance launched in November 2013. We would like groups, organisations and businesses to sign up and put forward action plans to improve awareness of dementia within their community. We can help to create individual achievable action plans to enable your community to become more dementia friendly. Examples of other communities action plans can be seen on the website.
If you would like to volunteer to help raising awareness within Portishead or the surrounding areas then please do get in touch.
For more information or to be part of the Portishead Dementia Action Alliance please contact:
Anne Ellis, Alzheimer's Society 07702 443 336 Anne.Ellis@alzheimers.org.uk
- Age UK Somerset
- Alliance Homes Group
- Alzheimer's Society - North Somerset
- Carers Trust Phoenix
- Careys Home and Garden
- Clarke Willmott
- Curo - Community Connect
- Elite Mobility
- Harbourside Family Practice
- Healthwatch North Somerset
- Home Instead Portishead
- Impero Lounge
- Mowbray Woodwards
- North Somerset CCG
- North Somerset Community Partnership
- Plaza Professional Hairdressing
- Positive Step
- Solelution Limited
- Specsavers Portishead
- Wessex Water