Selsey Dementia Action Alliance
The Selsey Dementia Action Alliance is part of Forget-Me-Not, a project to create and sustain Selsey as a truly dementia-friendly community.
In partnership with local people with dementia and their carers, and drawing on the expertise of those professionally involved with dementia, our aims are to:
- Educate all sections of the local community in an understanding of dementia and in the need for understanding, compassion, kindness and patience.
- Listen to people with dementia so that we can devise solutions to gaps in local services and activities so they can continue to be part of the community.
- Encourage partnership working so that overlap is minimised and services are provided effectively and efficiently.
- Seek 'best practice' by applying initiatives from other, similar organisations.
- Involve local groups which can contribute to meeting our aims.
Forget-Me-Not formed March 2017 to drive forward Selsey's dementia-friendly community project.
Showcase event held in September 2017 to introduce Forget-Me-Not to the local community. Its success led to formation of Selsey Dementia Action Alliance (SDAA) in March 2018 - now registered with Alzheimer's Society and National Dementia Alliance.
Selsey Community Watch's existing befriending activity expanded to cater for people with dementia. Regular befriending, intergenerational and singing session visits now made to Care Homes as well as befriending visits to the private homes of people with dementia and their carers.
Dementia-friendly tea, cake and chat sessions now held twice-monthly in a safe and friendly cafe environment for those with dementia and their carers.
Ongoing regular information and training sessions have led to an increasing number of Dementia Champions and Dementia Friends in the local area.
Effective working relationships firmly established with local Care Managers, Selsey Medical Practice, NHS Primary Care Teams, West Sussex County Council and the local Alzheimer's Society.
Funding obtained and appointment made for a part-time SDAA Development Coordinator who was initially employed for 12 months to extend capabilities and expand the area covered by Forget-Me-Not to the wider Manhood Peninsula.
In July 2018, following a successful crowdfunding project, Selsey Care Shop opened in the town's High Street so that the SDAA Development Coordinator, Selsey Community Watch and Selsey Carers could be co-located and work more effectively and efficiently together. This innovative project has been very successful.
With the Alzheimer's Society, a monthly support group for dementia carers was established.
Selsey Community Forum (SCF) Catering was set up to provide food and refreshments for SDAA and other SCF functions and activities.
Took part in a 'Dragons' Den' funding competition.and won a grant of £5,000 to fund an SDAA support worker.
In partnership with other local communities, extended dementia friendly services and activities into the into the wider Manhood Peninsula.
Held a well-attended AGM and First Anniversary celebration March 2019.
- Age UK West Sussex
- Alzheimer's Society Coastal
- Auburn Lodge Care Home
- Berkeley Home Health
- Big River Ltd
- Carers Support West Sussex
- Chichester Festival Theatre
- Crossroads Care South Central
- East Beach Evangelical Church
- Home Instead Senior Care, Chichester & Bognor Regis
- Marjorie Cobby House
- Selsey Care Shop
- Selsey Carers
- Selsey Community Forum
- Selsey Medical Practice
- Selsey Methodist Church
- St Wilfred's Roman Catholic Church
- Sussex Grange Care Home
- Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust
- Tenchley Manor Care Home
- The Old Malthouse
- West Sussex County Council
- West Sussex Libraries