Patchway Dementia Action Alliance
Patchway Dementia Action Alliance was set up as a pilot from 2013-14, commissioned by South Gloucestershire Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) to tackle the issue of dementia in South Gloucestershire. Its formation was led by a steering group made up of representatives of Southern Brooks Community Partnership, South Gloucestershire CCG, South Gloucestershire Council, and Alzheimer’s Society, Patchway Town Council, and a local carer, with more key community players being sought. A Community Development Officer, Eleanor Fairbrother, working for Southern Brooks Community Partnership, was in post for 18 months, ending in September 2014, to set up the alliance.
The first action we took was to consult with people living with dementia in Patchway to see what changes they would like to see. A report on this consultation can be found here:http://www.southernbrooks.org.uk/userfiles/file/report%20long.pdf
Patchway Dementia Action Alliance launched on September 20th 2013. Since then, we have set up a Memory Café which is now run completely by volunteers; we have signed up members to the Action Alliance; we have run Alzheimer's Society Dementia Friends awareness sessions and developed a trained team of volunteer Dementia Champions, who now facilitate regular Dementia Friends sessions; and we continue to try to influence local developments. Patchway Dementia Action Alliance is now part of the South Gloucestershire Dementia Action Alliance, launched on 12 January 2015.
We are aiming to improve the lives of people with dementia in Patchway, as well as the lives of their families and carers, so that they can have more active lives and stay living well in the community for longer.
To do this, we are:
- Raising awareness about dementia, to increase public understanding of the disease, and to promote earlier diagnosis.
- Signing up community groups, retailers (including Cribbs Causeway), and service providers to join Patchway Dementia Action Alliance, who can then use a mark to advertise them as being dementia aware.
- Working with our members to create individual action plans to help them become more dementia friendly.
- Delivering Alzheimer's Society Dementia Friends awareness sessions for community groups, retailers, and service providers
- Running a bi-monthly Memory Cafe in Patchway.
- Building relationships with developers in the area to ensure new housing and retail developments are more dementia friendly
Paul Frisby, Partnership Manager, South Gloucestershire CG whose work includes commissioning services and support for people living with dementia.
Get in touch to find out what meetings we are currently organising.
- Consultation: A consultation of people living with dementia was undertaken as our first piece of work. We are always interested in ongoing input on what we are doing in Patchway, so get in touch.
- Dementia Awareness Sessions: We are delivering the Alzheimer's 'Dementia Friends' sessions in Patchway. It lasts an hour and is an informative session that introduces the issues around dementia and how you can help. Get in touch for more information.
- Dementia Learning in Schools: We worked with Patchway Community College to introduce learning about dementia into their PSHE classes, and made a film together: “Lasting Memories”.
- Learning from Patchway Dementia Action Alliance has been key to the development of South Gloucestershire Dementia Alliance, launched on 12 January 2015, funded for 2 years by South Gloucestershire CCG and Council. See the Resources page for an evaluation of the Patchway pilot.
Eleanor Fairbrother is now the Development Officer for South Gloucestershire Dementia Action Alliance, still based at Southern Brooks Community Partnerships. She is on maternity leave for 2015. Please get in touch via Subitha Baghirathan (maternity cover post).
Phone: 01454 868 570
Patchway Dementia Action Alliance
Southern Brooks Community Partnerships
Coniston Community Centre
South Gloucestershire BS34 5LP
- Administrator (Patchway Dementia Action Alliance
- AGE UK South Gloucestershire
- Amberley Road Baptist Church
- Ann Summers
- BRACE - Alzheimer's Research
- Bradley Stoke Pharmacy
- Bristol Red Cross
- Carers Support Centre
- Clarke Willmott
- concord medical centre
- Contact the Elderly
- Costa Coffee
- Davies & Partners
- Ethnic Minority & Traveller Achievement Society - South GLoucestershire Council
- Feltham Fire & Flues
- Filton & Patchway Neighbourhood Policing Team, Avon & Somerset Police
- Holy Family Church Patchway
- Imaginations Fine Arts
- Independent Living Services - Merlin Housing Society
- Jack Jones
- Jack Wills
- Jhoots pharmacy, Bradley Stoke
- Karen Millen
- Limelight Hair and Beauty
- Lloyds Bank, Patchway Branch
- Lloyds Pharmacy Patchway
- North Team Adult Care - South Gloucestershire Council
- Patchway Autoparts
- Patchway Kebab House
- Patchway Labour Club
- Patchway Library
- Patchway Senior Citizens Club
- Patchway Town Council
- Phoenix Carpets & Flooring
- Ray's Bakes & Cakes
- Restore - Edge church International
- South Glos CVS
- South Gloucestershire Council
- South Gloucestershire Memory Service
- Southern Brooks Community Partnership
- St Chad's Church
- St. Chad's Tuesday Fellowship
- Stoke Lodge Neighbourhood Watch
- Superdry Store
- Volunteer Centre Partnership South Gloucestershire
- Wessex Water