Woking Dementia Action Alliance
The Woking Local DAA has been created to support local communities within the borough to strive towards being a fully integrated Dementia Friendly community.
Woking is one of 11 boroughs in Surrey and consists of 10 wards across 6,357 hectares, of which 60% is green belt.
Whilst the estimated number of people living with dementia in Surrey is over 16,000, more locally in Woking it is estimated to be over 1,200 which, with a local population of just under 100,000 represents just over 1% of the population, albeit that the impact of dementia has a far more reaching effect.
We firmly believe that individuals can live well with dementia, and that by working together to develop Dementia Friendly Communities individuals, and their family’s experiences can only be enhanced.
In setting up the Woking LDAA we will be looking to work with a variety of stakeholders and partners to make the borough a Dementia Friendly borough on a phased (location) basis. Initially starting in the ward of Goldsworth Park, we will look to roll out the work of the Woking LDAA to other areas across the borough, leaning from our experiences as we go.
This Woking LDAA has identified the following priority areas
- To seek out best practice and influence other organisations to replicate similar Actions.
- To encourage ongoing social movement towards creating Dementia Friendly Communities.
- To help Dementia Friendly Communities receive recognition for their work.
- To raise the general public’s awareness of the increasingly dementia friendly environments.
- To raise awareness to people affected by dementia of the accessibility of more organisations for people with dementia.
- To enable people affected by dementia to have a voice in Woking.
Meeting are held quarterly
Name: Julie Meme
If you would like to join the Woking Local DAA please complete the action plan document found here: Alliance Member Registration Form
- Action for Carers
- Bright Shadow
- Friends of the Elderly - Bradbury Centre
- Goldsworth Park Dementia Action Alliance
- Heathside Anchor Homes
- Kingsleigh Care Home
- Knaphill Library
- Nat West Bank Woking
- New Life Church
- New Vision Homes
- Skipton Building Society (Woking branch)
- Soroptimist International of Woking & District (SIWD)
- Thames Valley Housing Association
- The Lightbox
- Waitrose Goldsworth Park
- West Byfleet Library
- West Hall Care Home
- Woking Age Concern
- Woking and Sam Beare Hospices
- Woking Borough Council
- Woking Library