Newmarket Dementia Action Alliance
It is estimated there are approx. 350 people in the area living with dementia.
The Newmarket Dementia Action Alliance objectives are:
- Work together to support Newmarket and surrounding area to become a more dementia friendly place to live
- Encourage businesses and organisations to adopt membership of the NDAA
- Create a group action plan that works towards being recognised as a Dementia Friendly Community
- Support and develop awareness within Newmarket and surrounding area
Ensure that people living with dementia and their carers are consulted, and have the opportunity to be involved with the NDAA
Open/exploratory meetings held on 20th April 2017 at Tesco Community space and 30th May 2017 at The Racing Centre.
Steering Group formed on 7th June 2017 other meetings since 12th July, 11th September and18th October.
Initially NDAA meetings will be held every 4-6 weeks, and then move to quarterly meetings once the NDAA is established and operational.
Next steering group meeting Monday 22nd January 2pm at All Saints church Newmarket CB8 8ES.
How to join the LDAA:
For a business or organisation to join the Newmarket Dementia Action Alliance (NDAA) the following (minimum) is expected:
- Staff to be aware of challenges people with dementia face. This can be done by:
- Local Dementia Champions visiting to give a 30-45 minute awareness session (free of charge)
- OR by enabling staff access to Dementia Action Alliance videos which enable staff to understand a bit more about dementia and give helpful tips to improve customer experience
- Maintain dementia awareness within the business or organisation
- Produce a business/organisation action plan
- Display/use the NDAA logo/badge showing that the business or organisation is dementia aware
Further options and levels of involvement are available, such as having and maintaining your separate business or organisation web page under the NDAA. For more information about joining the NDAA group of dementia aware businesses and organisations send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or contact Robin Hardy 01638 669361.
Below are contact details for local services
- Community Transport (previously known as Dial a Ride)
- Gracewell Healthcare of Kentford
- Newmarket Day Centre CIO
- Newmarket Leisure Centre
- Shine A Light - Dementia cafe
- Sue Ryder Dementia Together
- Tesco Newmarket Extra
- The Newmarket Dementia Group - Support group
Community Transport (previously known as Dial a Ride)
- A transport service provided by the Voluntary Network. It is a friendly service, supporting those living in and near Newmarket. We are working with the Newmarket Dementia Acton Alliance and aim to have all of our staff trained, to support people living with dementia.
- Operating Monday to Saturday 7am to 7pm, users need to registered
- Booking line 01638 664304 Monday to Friday 8am to 4pm
- For more information look under the TRANSPORT heading on http://www.thevolunartnetwork.org/
Gracewell Healthcare of Kentford
- Luxury Residential, Nursing and Memory Care. At Gracewell Healthcare, we understand the demands memory loss places both on people living with dementia and on their families. Every individual and their care experience is unique, so we recognise that the tiny details make a big difference and personalised care is a must. Our work is led by the principals of kindness, integrity, trust, empathy and respect. Gracewell of Kentford aim to help residents live well with memory loss and find a new way to live well in their next chapter
- Contact - 01638 555090
Newmarket Day Centre CIO
- Our aim at the centre is to make later life an enjoyable experience for the over 50s including Dementia Clients
- Varied activity programme daily
- Meals & Refreshments available daily, we also provide fresh meals delivered in Newmarket if you are unable to get to us.
- Private Funded Care Packages are available.
- For more information look at our website www.newmarketdaycentre.co.uk or Call 01638 664262 or email email@example.com.
Newmarket Leisure Centre
- Leisure and sport activities in a friendly and caring surroundings, such as Keep Active for the over 55s. Considerate and understanding staff, who are aware of the issues faced by people with dementia.
- Contact 01638 782500 firstname.lastname@example.org
Shine A Light
- A dementia café, providing a programme of stimulating activities to support carers and those living with dementia, in a loving and happy environment
- Contact Christine Hardy 01638 669361
Sue Ryder Dementia Together
- Practical information and support for people who are curious, concerned about or living with dementia, their carers in Suffolk
- Call free on 08081 688 000 www.dementia-together.com
Tesco Newmarket Extra
- Our aim is to train as many colleagues as possible to become Dementia Friends making customers experience more enjoyable. We provide a warm and welcoming environment for customers to carry out their shopping needs; the store also has a coffee shop, pharmacy, mobile phone shop and opticians.
- Contact Community Champion at email@example.com
The Newmarket Dementia Group
- Supporting carers and their loved ones, to learn about the illness, where to go for help and have fun in a safe environment
- Contact Suzan Whymmark 07920439377 Suzanwhymark.firstname.lastname@example.org