Nailsworth Dementia Action Alliance
Nailsworth in Gloucestershire has a population around 6,000 but serving as a town centre with amenities for surrounding smaller towns and parishes.
Nailsworth Valley is one of the five Stroud valleys and sits on the edge of the Cotswold Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. It is the home of Forest Green Rovers football club who were promoted in 2017 to the National League.
We have a wide range of community groups and host several local festivals including a walking festival and Nailsworth Noel.
Exact number of people living with dementia is unknown but the local GP practice (9,000 patients, 40% of whom live outside the town) have around 70 registered patients with dementia. Nailsworth has an aging population like the rest of the Stroud District and therefore Dementia and other long-term conditions are a concern to our population.
The local Health Partnership, Patient Participation Group and GP practice suggested that it would be a good idea. The Practice is working to become a Dementia Friendly Practice as part of their development through the NHS STP programme.
Nailsworth is part of the Stroud District. Stroud District Council decided to work towards being a dementia friendly district and are supporting their towns to take local action around this which complements our Nailsworth work.
The Dementia Friendly Nailsworth group is made up of local volunteers and District and County health and community organisations.
The principle aims are:
- Make sure that everyone from Nailsworth and the surrounding communities living with dementia is respected and enabled to continue to enjoy living their lives in their own community for as long as possible.
- Actively work in partnership across our community to develop practical actions to support people living with dementia and those who care for them.
- Ensure that people living with dementia are at the heart of our work and are involved in developing our plans and delivering our actions. This includes gathering the views of people living with dementia and their carers with the support of the local GP surgery.
- Promote dementia awareness through events, media and delivering dementia training sessions.
How to join
The chair of our Dementia Friendly Nailsworth groups is Marilyn Miles, contact:
0780-155-8931 Facebook page: Dementia Friendly Nailsworth
Meetings are held in Nailsworth Town Hall at least once every quarter.
- 2gether NHS Foundation Trust,
- Alzheimer’s Society,
- Churches Together in Nailsworth
- Corinium Care,
- Dementia Training & Education Strategy,
- Fair Shares,
- Gloucestershire Care Services NHS trust,
- Gloucestershire library service,
- Nailsworth Alzheimer’s cafe,
- Nailsworth Health Partnership
- Nailsworth Town Council,
- Prices Mill GP Surgery,
- Prices Mill Patient Participation Group (PPG),
- Sporting Memories Network,
- Stroud District Council
Other individuals and organisations are welcome to join the DAA.