Yeovil Dementia Action Alliance
Yeovil has a population of around 45,000. Dementia prevalence has been estimated to be about 2,000, while there are around 8,500 people diagnosed with dementia across Somerset.
Westlands Helicopters are based in Yeovil, supplying the Royal Navy and Royal Air Force. Through its production of Lynx and Gazelle helicopters (Now known as Leonardos), they provide employment to many Yeovilians.
There is a strong belief that we need to reach out to the community to improve awareness of dementia to enable to people to live well with dementia in our town. Although dementia awareness is improving, it is still important to provide support, train staff and enlighten members of the public.
The Yeovil DAA has the following aims as it embarks on its journey to make Yeovil a dementia friendly community:
- To initially focus on the areas surrounding Preston Road, engaging with independent businesses and other community facilities.
- Provide Dementia Friends sessions and run workshops for businesses
- Create a list of places of safety and make links with the local police force to help with this
- Arrange regular support meetings for families / carers of people who live with dementia.
How to join the Yeovil DAA
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 01935 475521
- Meetings are held every 6-8 weeks at local community facilities or at Grovelands, 45 Grove Avenue, Yeovil, BA20 2BE