Hertsmere Dementia Action Alliance
Hertsmere Borough Council is a borough in the county of Hertfordshire with a population of some 102,000 of whom more than 18,300 are 65+.
The number of people estimated to have dementia in 1,402 in 2015. This is expected to rise to over 1,600 in 2020.
704 people registered with a GP practice had a recorded dementia diagnosis in 2011/2012 This suggests around 50% of people with dementia have had a diagnosis recorded (compared to 64% in the UK)
The Hertsmere DAA has as its principal aims to;
- Increase awareness of dementia across the Borough by recruiting a wide range of organisations and promoting:
- The roll out of Dementia Friends awareness sessions of all customer facing staff, members or volunteers.
- Adoption of other dementia friendly measures as outlined in the relevant sector guidance available from the National DAA and the good practice examples of other Local DAA members actions posted on the DAA web site.
- Elicit the views of people affected by dementia as to what areas or sectors it should focus its efforts on.
- Establish a regular cycle of quarterly meetings for its membership, chaired by a committed and active person.
- Develop a publicity plan to promote through the local media the work of the Alliance, its members and awareness raising and good practice generally.
- To meet the needs for those living with a dementia plus their carers within the Hertsmere Borough Council area
Community Action Hertsmere will chair the DAA initially.
Initial meetings to plan how to develop the Alliance for Hertsmere began in November 2016.
Eight organisations attended the first meeting and have agreed to join the Hertsmere DAA. They are:
- Community Action Hertsmere
- Elstree and Borehamwood Town Council
- The VIC
- Home Instead Senior Care
- Groundwork Hertfordshire
- HCPA (SMILE)
- Crossroads Care - Hertfordshire South
- Citizens Advice
Hertsmere DAA’s page on the national DAA website went live in December; followed by a second round of recruitment activity. A public launch is planned for May 2017 during Dementia Awareness week.
Establishment of the DAA and its website and an action plan to take it forward.
Quarterly, hosted by Hertsmere Borough Council (or members )
How to join the Hertsmere DAA:
Hertsmere Borough Council, Civic Offices, Elstree Way, Borehamwood, WD6 1WA.
tel: 020 8207 7801