Stevenage Dementia Action Alliance
Stevenage is a District in Hertfordshire county with a population of some 85,500 of whom more than 12,900 are 65+.
The number of people estimated to have dementia in Stevenage in 2014 was 914. This is expected to rise by 570 to over 1,480 in 2030.
4,170 people registered with a GP practice in East and North Hertfordshire had a recorded dementia diagnosis in October 2016. This suggests around 65% of people with dementia have had a diagnosis recorded (compared to 67.7% in the UK)
The Stevenage DAA has as its principal aims to;
- Increase awareness of dementia across the Borough by recruiting a wide range of organisations and promoting:
- The roll out of Dementia Friends awareness sessions of all customer facing staff, members or volunteers.
- Adoption of other dementia friendly measures as outlined in the relevant sector guidance available from the National DAA and the good practice examples of other Local DAA members actions posted on the DAA web site.
- Elicit the views of people affected by dementia as to what areas or sectors it should focus its efforts on.
- Establish a regular cycle of quarterly meetings for its membership, chaired by a committed and active person.
- Develop a publicity plan to promote through the local media the work of the Alliance, its members and awareness raising and good practice generally.
- Meet the needs for those living with a dementia plus their carers with the Stevenage area
- Submit an application for recognition as a community that is “Working to become Dementia Friendly”.
Initial meetings to plan how to develop the Alliance for Stevenage began in August 2016 .An initial group of five organisations have agreed to join the Stevenage DAA.
- Stevenage Borough Council
- Springfield House Community Centre
- Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue
- Hertfordshire Healthwatch
- Alzheimer’s Society
Stevenage DAA’s page on the national DAA website went live in December 2016; followed by a second round of recruitment activity.
Establishment of the DAA and its website and an action plan to take it forward.
Quarterly , hosted by members.
How to join the DAA:
Pamela Goodwin email@example.com