Tendring Dementia Action Alliance
Accredited in May 2020
Tendring is a district in Essex with a population of some 138,100 and 51% of the population are aged 65+. It has the highest number and proportion of people over 65 amongst Districts in the County; along with the highest levels of deprivation.
The number of people diagnosed with dementia in Tendring in 2020 according to local authorities was 3220 and only 44% people actually receive a diagnosis, so actual numbers will be much higher.
The Tendring DAA has as its principal aims to;
- Increase awareness of dementia across the district by recruiting a wide range of organisations and promoting:
- The roll out of Dementia Friends awareness sessions of all customer facing staff, members or volunteers.
- Adoption of other dementia friendly measures as outlined in the relevant sector guidance available from the National DAA and the good practice examples of other Local DAA members actions posted on the DAA web site.
- Elicit the views of people affected by dementia as to what areas or sectors it should focus its efforts on.
- Establish a regular cycle of quarterly meetings for its membership, chaired by a committed and active person.
- Develop a publicity plan to promote through the local media the work of the Alliance, its members and awareness raising and good practice generally.
- To meet the needs for those living with a dementia plus their carers with the Tendring area
Jane Diplock and Christine Horn
Initial meetings to plan how to develop the Alliance for Tendring began in June 2016 with a steering group now formed with 18 potential members agreeing to join the Tendring DAA.
CVS Tendring, Princes Theatre, Social Services, Home Instead, Penny Pots Residential Home, NEPFT, ACE, Essex Cares, Clacton Police, Essex Fire & Rescue, Alzheimer’s Society, Swan Repair & Care, Community Agents, Age Legal Services, Salvation Army, East of England Co-op, Tendring Community Transport, Asda
A public launch is planned for May 2017 during Dementia Awareness Week.
Establishment of the DAA and its website and an action plan to take it forward.
Accredited by the Alzheimers in May 2020
Created a facebook page to reach a wider audience in lockdown
Signed up 32 businesses to the alliance between March 2020 and November2020
Quarterly - hosted by various members including CVS Tendring and Clacton Police Station.
How to join the Tendring DAA:
Contact: Jane Diplock or Christine Horn
- Action for Family Carers
- Age Concern Colchester & North East Essex
- Anglian Community Enterprise (ACE)CIC
- Borno Chemists - Walton on the Naze
- Borno Chemists – Dovercourt
- Bradfield Parish Council
- Caradoc Surgery
- Carers Choices
- Carers First
- Carers FIRST West Essex
- CHAPS Men's Health Charity
- Clacton Police
- Coastal Community Centre
- Colchester Hospital University Foundation Trust
- Community Agents Essex
- Community Dental Services Essex
- Community Voluntary Services Tendring
- Corner Lodge Ltd
- Crusader Surgery
- Don Thomson House
- Dovercourt Healthcare
- East Lynne Medical Centre
- East of England Ambulance Service NHS Trust
- East of England Coop
- Edensor Care Centre
- Elmstead Market (Abbeyfield Medical Centre)
- Epping Close Surgery
- Essex Carers Support
- Essex County Fire and Rescue Service (Tendering / Colchester)
- Fisher Jones Greenwood LLP
- Frinton Road Medical Centre
- GP Primary Choice Limited
- Green Elms Health Centre
- Harwich-Rural community policing team
- Heal in motion
- Home Instead Senior Care
- Iceland Waterglade
- Jaywick community resource centre
- Jaywick Sands Revival
- John Fowlers LLP Solicitors
- Long Meadows Dovercourt
- Never say die public house
- North East Essex Clinical Commissioning Group
- North Road Surgery
- Oakley Foot Care
- Park Pavilion, Harwich
- Ranworth Surgery
- Right at Home Colchester & District
- Silversprings Care Home - CARE UK
- St Helena Hospice, Colchester
- Styling by Samantha
- Tendring Careline
- Tendring District Council
- The Beth Chatto Gardens & Beth Chatto Education Trust
- The Hollies Surgery
- The Salvation Army
- Thera East
- Thompson Smith and Puxon
- Walton Police