East Grinstead Dementia Action Alliance
The East Grinstead Dementia Friendly Group started meeting in 2013 comprising representatives of councils, businesses, carers, care professionals and community groups. The intention was to raise awareness of dementia to help make East Grinstead a dementia friendly community. The Group formally become an alliance in 2016 to make bigger steps and to continue raising awareness. In October 2018 the alliance was recognised as qualifying to be a Dementia Friendly Community. We are working proudly to become so throughout the town.
East Grinstead Dementia Action Alliance Overarching Aims
- Support the aims of the Alzheimer’s Society and the Dementia Action Alliance, and the National Dementia Declaration.
- Increase awareness and understanding of dementia in East Grinstead and surrounding villages.
- Assist in helping to make East Grinstead and the surrounding villages a dementia-friendly community.
- Provide information on local resources and support facilities.
- Encourage people with dementia and their family and carers to seek guidance and support.
- To establish a Dementia Alliance Steering Group to oversee and ensure continued development of action plans.
- Encourage organisations and businesses to become part of the East Grinstead dementia action alliance.
- Work with Other alliances, councils and organisations to share experience and good practice
2018 objectives were all achieved :
- Involvement in the 2018 May Fair.
- Liaison with Scott’s Cinema to make some screenings dementia friendly.
- Open Day at AUKEG&D and Dementia Week in May. Other Alliances to be invited.
- Increase membership from 18 to 25 by December 2018.
- Draw up an Action Plan of what it will take for the group to ensure EG can be identified as a Dementia Friendly Community.
We were delighted to have smashed the membership target (31 as at 30th November) In addition the leaflet sponsored by the Town Council has been updated and redistributed to public outlets including GP surgeries.
Objectives for 2019
Encourage the Big Stores (J Sainsbury) to join
Run a Carer’s Day in Carer’s week. Carer’s week is 10th – 16th June 2019.
Put together a programme of events for Dementia Action week. Dementia Action week is 20th – 26th May 2019
Continue to work towards increasing membership of the EGDAA.
Meetings are held quarterly upstairs at East Grinstead Library, from 10.00am, the dates for 2019 are:
Thursday 7th March
Thursday 16th May
Thursday 25th July
Thursday 7th November
How to join the LDAA
Julie Holden: email@example.com
Kate Bennett: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Age UK East Grinstead and District
- Age UK West Sussex
- Alzheimer's Society West Sussex North
- Ashdown Medical Group
- Berkeley Home Health
- Big River Ltd
- Boots The Chemist
- Buss Murton law LLP
- care uk Millview
- Carers Support West Sussex
- Chequer Mead Theatre
- Crossroads Care South Central
- Dementia Crisis Team North
- East Clayton Farm
- East Grinstead and District Lions
- East Grinstead Churches Together Justice and Peace Group
- East Grinstead Town Council
- Haskins Snowhill Garden Centre
- Helpd Ltd
- Housing & Care 21 Crawley
- Imberhorne School
- J Sainsburys PLC (East Grinstead)
- Jubilee Community Church
- LODGE COFFEE SHOPS LTD
- Memory Asssessment Service
- Meridian 107FM
- Mid Sussex and Crawley Police - Sussex Police
- Mid Sussex District Council
- Mid Sussex Older People's Council
- Mid Sussex Voluntary Action
- Moatfield Surgery
- NHS Carers Health Team
- Queen Victoria Hospital Foundation Trust
- Ship Street Surgery
- Solea Beauty
- Stone Quarry Cafe
- Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation and Teaching Trust
- The Llama Park
- Waitrose (East Grinstead)
- Welcome Cafe Trinity Methodist Church
- West Sussex County Council
- West Sussex Libraries
- What's Happening in East Grinstead