Tidworth Community Area
The Tidworth Community Area covers 183km2 of rural Wiltshire, which includes the parishes of Chute, Chute Forest, Collingbourne Ducis, Collingbourne Kingston, Enford, Everleigh, Fittleton, Netheravon, Tidcombe & Fosbury and the towns of Tidworth & Ludgershall, with a total population of approx 21,000 people, which is expected to increase to 27,000 by 2020 as part of the army rebasing programme.
Rural villages surround the towns of Tidworth & Ludgershall, which play an important centre for people who live in the community area to access a wide range of services including health, education, leisure, shops and employment.
The community has a fantastic energy which is evident at the host of local events, festivals and fairs that take place throughout the year and across the community area offering inclusive and welcoming venues where all members of the community area can come together and become positively engaged, enjoy informal learning opportunities, overcome social isolation, and develop opportunities for local solutions to local issues through community action.
The Tidworth Community Area Partnership (TCAP) has a number of thematic groups, one of which covers Health & Social Care. This group is made up of professionals from the local medical practice, Healthwatch Wiltshire, councillors, Wiltshire Council officers and other interested members of the community.
One of the priorities identified by the group was the need of both community provision and understanding regarding Dementia and so a separate steering group was set up to focus on this area.
The initial aims of the steering group were to get a number of community Dementia Friends Champions, who could then lead further Dementia Friends sessions as well as establishing a Memory café in the community to help support those people living with Dementia and their carers.
Thanks to dedicated volunteers, and with encouragement from TCAP, Ludgershall Town Council & Tidworth Town Council along with funding from Wiltshire Council, through Tidworth Area Board, the community now has two memory cafes, first in Ludgershall & more recently in Tidworth.
The overarching aim of the Tidworth Community Area Dementia Action Alliance (TCA DAA) is to make sure that everyone from Tidworth Community Area, living with dementia is respected and enabled to continue to enjoy their lives in their own community, as well as possible, for as long as possible.
The group will actively try to raise awareness and understanding of dementia to create a more supportive community, as well as helping to provide services and activities to enhance the lives of those living with dementia and their carers.
To work towards the Tidworth Community Area becoming a Dementia Friendly Community for people with Dementia, their carers and families, voluntary and statutory services, business and the wider community.
The group’s objectives are:
- To seek membership from businesses and organisations in the Tidworth Community Area.
- To support members in the formation of their own action plans
- To establish and maintain effective communication through a wide variety of media
- To develop a network of Dementia Champions
- To ensure that the voices of people with Dementia, their carers and families are heard and guide our work
- To promote and encourage local activities that support the people living with dementia, their carers and families. E.g. Tidworth & Ludgershall Memory Cafes.
The TCA DAA is made up of a core steering group and a wider group of members who form the full alliance.
The core steering group meets monthly and is made up of key community members, representing the following:
- Tidworth Community Area Partnership
- Tidworth Town Council
- Tidworth Community Area Board, Wiltshire Council
- Alzheimer’s Support
- Older People & Carers Champion
- Tidworth Memory Café
- Ludgershall Memory Cafe
- Experts by experience (local residents living with Dementia and their carers)
The full Tidworth Community Area Dementia Action Alliance is made up of the wider community. Members can be from any sector (including private/profit making companies) or individuals with an interest in supporting the work of the TCA DDA. Members are invited from within the area or outside the area where services benefit the residents (e.g. a local branch of a national or county-wide organisation).
How to join
The Tidworth Community Area DAA welcomes support from across the community. If you are interested in coming along to a meeting, or being involved in any way please email Brian Pratt (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Nell Light (email@example.com)
- 1st Tidworth Guides
- Alzheimer's Support
- Army Cadet Force
- Avon Small Saints Preschool
- Baden-Powell Scouts Association
- Collingbourne Cricket Club
- Collingbourne Ducis Village Hall
- Collingbourne Kingston Village Hall
- Connolly Spar
- Enford and Avon Valley Youth Club
- Fittleton Parish Council
- Home Instead Andover / East Wiltshire
- Ludgershall Memory Cafe
- Ludgershall Town Counil
- Ludgershall Youth Centre
- Our Time Project
- Royal British Legion Ludgershall
- Strange Old Things - The Mobile Museum
- Tesco Tidworth
- The Anybody Can Cook Community Interest Company
- The Wellington Academy
- The Wellington Academy CCF
- The Wellington Academy Sports Centre
- The Wiltshire Bobby Van Trust
- Tidworth and Bulford Athletics Club
- Tidworth Area Board
- Tidworth Colts FC 17
- Tidworth Garrison Saddle Club
- Tidworth Leisure Centre
- Tidworth Memory Cafe
- Tidworth Titans
- Tidworth Town Council
- Wiltshire Creative
- Wiltshire Farm Foods
- Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service
- Wiltshire Wildlife Trust
- Windmill Hill Children’s Centre