Bath & North East Somerset
See the Bath DAA guide to Dementia Services in Bath and North East Somerset: Guide
Bath is a historic city in the valley of the River Avon, surrounded by the beautiful countryside of North East Somerset. BaNES has a population of over 182,000 residents and approximately 3,000 people diagnosed as living with dementia.
Bath is a World Heritage site and is built on a natural thermal spring. The city boasts a huge amount of history. Bath is specifically known for its visible Georgian architecture crafted from Bath stone which includes the Royal Crescent, Circus, Pump Rooms and Assembly Rooms.
Bath’s theatres, museums, cultural and sporting venues (such as rugby and cricket) have helped make the city a huge tourist attraction which hosts over 3.8 million visitors a year.
The BaNES Dementia Action Alliance was initiated by Dementia Friends Champion, Sarah Williams-Martin, who identified a need for supporting people living with dementia in their community. She contacted the DAA Project Manager from the Alzheimer’s Society who invited key people in BaNES to help and support this Action Alliance. We now have a group of stakeholders to help drive the Alliance forward.
The BaNES Dementia Action Alliance will use the services of a multi-faith group of volunteers to help recruit members.
As a new Alliance, we are very interested in speaking to potential new members, so if you feel you would like to join as a member or be a part of the steering group, then please get in touch.
70% of people living with dementia continue to live at home. Therefore the overreaching aim of the BaNES Action Alliance is to create a dementia friendly community, where people can:-
- travel on public transport
- enjoy sport, cinema and other recreational activities
- go shopping
- run errands
- visit places of worship
- manage day-to-day tasks
We aim to do this by raising awareness to enable those living with dementia to remain in their community for as long as possible.
We aim to consult with people with dementia and work with councillors, groups and services to establish what is important to people living with dementia in BaNES and identify the needs of these individuals and their carers in order to provide support.
We aim to work with Dementia Friend Champions to make as many Dementia Friends as we can in BaNES.
We aim to contact and recruit churches, retail and educational establishments, transport services, care services, leisure, medical, pharmaceutical and emergency services, as well as groups and clubs within the BaNES area to make them members of the BaNES Dementia Action Alliance.
We aim to work in conjunction with another group called the Dementia Initiative to produce a booklet of services and support for those living with dementia.
The BaNES Dementia Action Alliance aims to meet monthly at a central venue with easy accessibility.
How to Join
If you are interested in being a part of this Alliance please contact Sarah Williams-Martin
- Bath and North East Somerset Council
- Abney and Baker
- Bath and North East Somerset Clinical Commissioning Group
- Bath and North East Somerset Council (Parks Service) Sydney Gardens
- Bath Building Society
- BATH CITY FARM
- Bath College Care Academy
- Batheaston Dental Practice
- Batheaston Medical Centre
- Better - Bath Sports and Leisure Centre
- Better - Culverhay Sports & Leisure Centre
- Better - Odd Down Sports Ground
- Bettter - Keynsham Leisure Centre
- Carers’ Centre – Bath and North East Somerset
- Carewatch Bath
- Chase de Vere Independent Financial Advisers Ltd
- Cholwell House Nursing Home Ltd
- Community at 67
- Dorothy House Hospice Care
- FC Whelan Chemist
- Holburne Museum
- Holy Trinity Church
- Home Instead Senior Care
- Just Love Bath
- Little Theatre Cinema
- Midsomer Norton Methodist Church
- Mogers Drewett LLp
- Morrisons Supermarket, Bath
- Mowbray Woodwards
- Nexus Claremont Methodist Centre
- Oldfield Surgery
- Peggy Dodd Centre
- Royal British Legion
- Royal United Hospital Bath NHS Trust
- Santander - Bath Branch
- Somerset Care
- St Augustine’s Medical Practice
- St John the Evangelist Catholic Church
- St John's Foundation Est 1174
- St Johns Art Group
- St Mary’s Charlcombe
- St Michael's Partnership
- St Stephen's Church
- Swan Advocacy
- The Roman Baths
- The SU Bath
- VOLUNTEER CENTRE BATH AND BEYOND
- Watkins Solicitors incorporating Brain Sinnott & Co
- Wessex Water
- Weston All Saints Primary School
- Widcombe Baptist Church