Frome Dementia Action Alliance
Registered as a Dementia Friendly Community
Frome is an historic market town, situated in the South West. It has a reputation of supporting a wide range of community ventures to benefit its residents alongside plenty of visitors and tourists. Frome’s Town Council is made up of ‘Independents for Frome’ councillors who, as one of their main areas of focus, will be ‘building a vibrant community that is able to participate in local community life and decision making about public services’ (www.frometowncouncil.gov.uk).
Frome town as a shopping centre caters not only for those living in the town but also the surrounding villages, with many being over 65, making it overly important to cater for this growing sector of the population.
For Frome to be a dementia friendly town and support those living with dementia and their carers within the community, an alliance has been formed representing different sectors including emergency services, financial services, health and social care providers and local businesses. These members will help deliver the objectives of the National Dementia Declaration and respond to the needs specific to the community of Frome.
Frome Dementia Alliance was formed by 4 local Dementia Friends Champions who felt there was a need to create a link between the support and services on offer for people living in the community with dementia and their carers. After a public meeting with representatives from the council, local businesses, charity groups, healthcare providers and emergency services it was apparent there was a need to increase the understanding and awareness around dementia and help those who may be particularly isolated geographically in the area by developing this further and echoing the policies and pledges made to improve dementia care and services nationwide.
- To enable people living with dementia in the community to remain independent and retain choice and control over their lives in a dignified manner. We are aiming to create Safe Havens to provide a warm, safe place for people living with memory loss who may be lost or confused in the town supported by people with an understanding of dementia.
- To raise awareness of dementia within the town and surrounding villages by creating Dementia Friends among for example, local shop owners and staff, schools, community groups, local churches and help reduce the stigma surrounding dementia
- Listen to the needs of people living dementia and their carers in the town to help improve the environment and support and services available to help minimise difficulties faced, we hope to set up a monthly memory café to not only provide support through engagement and social stimulation for those living with dementia and their carers but to hold advice sessions around topics including finance, care options and medication.
- We have an established Steering Group with members from the Fire Service, Social Care sector, local hospital and financial services with consultation from those living in the community with dementia.
- Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue funded two GPS trackers for Gracewell of Frome
Sean McCabe and Esther MacKillican
Meetings are held regularly as we establish ourselves, currently we estimate regular Steering Group meetings being held quarterly
How to join
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for support in completing your action plan to join the DAA