Epping Forest Dementia Action Alliance (EFDAA)
Epping Forest District is a mix of rural and urban areas and stretches northward from its boundary with Greater London right into the heart of rural Essex. Covering an area of 131 square miles, the key population centres are the commuter towns of Loughton, Chigwell and Buckhurst Hill, as well as the market towns of Epping, Waltham Abbey and Ongar.
Epping Forest Dementia Action Alliance (EFDAA) was launched in May 2016 seeing individuals and organisations come together that are truly committed to improving the health and social care outcomes for those affected by dementia.
The Alzheimer’s Society awarded Epping Forest District a Dementia Friendly Community status in 2019.
EFDAA continues to grow throughout the pandemic, at a time when those affected by dementia need our care and support more than ever.
- To meet the needs of those living with a dementia and their carers, companions and families within Epping Forest District knowing they can live their lives with access to the services and support they need to fully participate in community life.
- To promote and sign up individuals and organisations across the district to become Dementia Friends offering either the calendar of virtual information session or bespoke sessions to groups.
- Support and encourage the good work already taking place in the district and ensure those who are interested in developing their contribution towards a dementia friendly community are backed by the alliance and offered the opportunity to be a member.
- Develop a team of Dementia Friends Champions to be able to deliver Dementia Friends Information Sessions and take on an ambassador role within the community.
- Create and support local events and activities for those living with dementia and their carers and companions.
- Share useful information relating to dementia support, activities, training and events with alliance members and each to share within their own networks.
- Develop an intergenerational focus within the district linking care homes, schools, businesses, services and community members.
- Campaign on the major issues in health and social care relating to people with dementia and their carers and companions.
- Shape what we do, highlighting the issues that are important to people affected by dementia.
- Ensure each member continues their commitment stated in their action plans.
- Epping Forest District maintained its status as ‘Working to become a Dementia Friendly Community’ for another year in June 2021.
- Announced the first Dementia Friendly Schools award in the district in January 2021.
- Epping Forest District Council funded the role of Dementia Action Officer from May 2020 to further develop the dementia friendly community.
- Epping Forest Facebook page created in August 2020
- Deputy Chair position created in September 2020
- An EFDAA Intergenerational Project steering group was formed in October 2020 working with Reminiscence Learning’s Archie Project.
- Carried out the first EFDAA Virtual Christmas Carol concert in December 2020.
Throughout the pandemic, virtual meetings are held every 7-8 weeks with members and partners.
To join Epping Forest Local DAA or for more information contact:
Chair, Epping Forest DAA
- Action for Family Carers
- Bluebird Care - Epping and Harlow
- Caremark Harlow and Epping Forest
- Carers Choices
- Carers FIRST West Essex
- Community Agents Essex
- Community Dental Services Essex
- Coopersale & Theydon Garnon C.E. (V.C) Primary School
- East of England Ambulance Service NHS Trust
- Epping District Team Ministry (Church of England)
- Epping Forest District Council
- Forest Practice
- Home Instead Epping Forest
- Jewish Care, Epping Forest
- Lambwood Heights part of Oakland Care
- Loughton Methodist Church
- Loughton Voluntary Care Association
- Mountfitchet House Care Home, Care UK
- Paternoster House Care Home - Barchester
- Places Leisure - Ongar & Loughton Leisure Centres
- Rotary Club of Loughton, Buckhurst Hill & Chigwell
- Woodland Grove part of Oakland Care