Welwyn Hatfield Dementia Action Alliance (WHDAA)
Initial meetings held in late 2015. In March 2016 an action plan outlining areas of activity; recuitment, awareness raising , PR and acheiving DFC status has been adopted and a Chair , Cllr Fiona Thomson, elected .
Welwyn Hatfield is a Borough in mid Hertfordshire with a population of some 122,000 of whom more than 17,000 are 65+.
The number of people estimated to have dementia in Welwyn Hatfield in 2012 was over 1,300. This is expected to rise by a third to over 1,600 in 2020.
632 people registered with a GP practice in Welwyn Hatfield had a recorded dementia diagnosis in 2011/12. This suggests around a half of people with dementia have had a diagnosis recorded (compared to 44% in the UK)
The Welwyn Hatfield DAA has as its principal aims to;
- Increase awareness of dementia across the Borough by recruiting a wide range of organisations and promoting:
- The roll out of Dementia Friends awareness sessions of all customer facing staff, members or volunteers.
- Adoption of other dementia friendly measures as outlined in the relevant sector guidance available from the National DAA and the good practice examples of other Local DAA members actions posted on the DAA web site.
- Elicit the views of people affected by dementia as to what areas or sectors it should focus its efforts on.
- Establish a regular cycle of quarterly meetings for its membership, chaired by a committed and active person.
- Develop a publicity plan to promote through the local media the work of the Alliance, its members and awareness raising and good practice generally.
- To meet the needs of those living with dementia plus their carers within the Welwyn Hatfield Borough
- Working to become a Dementia Friendly Community. (DFC)
Initial meetings to plan how to develop the Alliance for Welwyn Hatfield began in September 2015 and continued through to January 2016.
The following organisations agreed to start the Welwyn Hatfield DAA.
Age UK Herts
East and North Hertfordshire CCG
Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue
Hertfordshire Library Service (Mid Herts)
Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council
Welwyn Hatfield DAA’s page on the national DAA website went live in April 2016; followed by a second round of recruitment activity. A public launch coincided with Dementia Awareness Week and Welwyn Garden City Healthfest on 21 May 2016.
Quarterly, hosted by Partners in rotation around the Borough.
How to join the WHDAA:
Senior Support Officer
Public Health and Protection
T: 01707 357410
Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council,
The Council Offices, Campus East,
Welwyn Garden City,
Herts AL8 6AE
- Affinity Water
- Age UK Hertfordshire
- Alzheimer's Society
- East and North Hertfordshire Clinical Commissioning Group
- East and North Hertfordshire NHS Trust
- Friends Of Welwyn Care Homes
- Groundwork East
- Hall Grove Group Practice
- Healthwatch Hertfordshire
- Hertfordshire Constabulary
- Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue Service
- Hertfordshire Independent Living Service
- Hertfordshire Trading Standards
- Home Instead
- Home Instead Senior Care
- Isabel Hospice
- John Lewis Welwyn
- Knebworth Care Home, Care UK
- Welwyn Garden City Library and Information Service
- Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council