Haywards Heath Dementia Action Alliance
- Support people in our community, living with dementia and those caring for them, by Increasing awareness and understanding of dementia in Haywards Heath and surrounding villages.
- Assist in helping to make Haywards Heath a dementia-friendly community by working with all aspects of the town from retail and business to healthcare and leisure.
- Provide information on local resources and support facilities, and to encourage people with dementia and their family and carers to seek guidance and support from local services.
- Help people with dementia to feel included in the community, to be as independent as possible, and for their contribution to be valued;
- Help them to have choice and control to the maximum possible extent over their lives.
- Support the aims of the Alzheimer’s Society, the Dementia Action Alliance, and the National Dementia Declaration.
- Work cooperatively with local alliances and the Mid-Sussex alliance support group.
The Haywards Heath Dementia Action Group was set up in December 2014 with the intention of helping the community become more dementia-friendly. Initial membership of the group included representatives from the three local authorities, town, district and county; the Alzheimer’s Society; schools; medical services; welfare groups; businesses and local residents.
In January 2016 this informal Dementia Action Group was registered as the Haywards Heath Dementia Action Alliance.
Our first priority was to increase the local awareness of dementia and so we concentrated on the Dementia Friends programme, on participation in local events and on making information as widely available as possible. We have been running Dementia Friends sessions locally since early 2015, some as public ‘drop in’ events and others in-house for individual organisations.
In January 2019 the alliance was recognised as a Dementia Friendly Community. We look forward to continuing our work in Haywards Heath, supporting people living with dementia and those caring for them.
About the Alliance;
The Steering Group meets every two months. We are a friendly group and active, comprising a mixture of volunteers and representatives from Haywards Heath Town Council, Mid Sussex District Council, St Richard’s Church, The Orchards Shopping Centre and local NHS and social housing connections. We have some exciting plans for 2019 so if you would like to get involved, please do get in touch!
We meet at St Richard’s Vicarage on Queen’s Road, Haywards Heath. Dates for 2019 meetings are:
15th March at 2pm
17th May at 10am
19th July at 10am
20th September at 10am
15th November at 10am
Specific objectives for 2019 in support of our aims include the following:
- To conduct Dementia Friends’ sessions throughout the year.
- To encourage local organisations to register as members of the alliance.
- To increase awareness and support within local organisations from all sectors, including commercial, social, welfare and professional.
- To help increase awareness of dementia by contributing to key meetings within the community
- To schedule and run an information forum, first one planned for April 23rd 2019 at the Town Hall.
- To promote Dementia Action Week in May 2019 and to organise events in support of it.
- To ensure that the flow of guidance information to the community is maintained through regular newsletters from the Town Hall.
- To maintain active contact with other Dementia Support groups and alliances in the Mid-Sussex area.
- Age UK West Sussex Brighton & Hove
- Alzheimer's Society West Sussex
- Ashton House Nursing & Dementia Home
- Beech Hurst Nursing Home
- Berkeley Home Health
- Big River Ltd
- Borde Hill Garden
- Caremark Mid Sussex & Crawley
- Carers Support West Sussex
- Crossroads Care South Central
- Dementia Crisis Team North
- Dolphins Practice
- East Clayton Farm
- Haywards Heath Business Association
- Haywards Heath Jobcentre
- Haywards Heath Town Council
- HomeSmiths Ltd
- Housing & Care 21 Crawley
- Memory Asssessment Service
- Mid Sussex and Crawley Police - Sussex Police
- Mid Sussex District Council
- Mid Sussex Older People's Council
- Mid Sussex Voluntary Action
- Mike Oliver Associates
- Orchards shopping centre
- P & S Gallagher
- SANTANDER Haywards Heath
- St Richards Church
- Sussex Housing & Care
- The Mewes Vets
- West Sussex County Council
- West Sussex Libraries