Stowmarket Dementia Action Alliance
- To realise a dementia friendly community in Stowmarket using the recognition process , thus enabling organisations, local people living with dementia, carers and local business leaders to form a local dementia alliance.
- To share the work, make decisions about and prioritise the actions of the Alliance.
- To recruit members to join the Alliance through local networking, whilst monitoring and evaluating the work undertaken and the managing of Alliance finances.
- To help connect the community and ensure that the community is equipped to work co-operatively towards common goals.
- To agree upon and develop an action plan and create content for an Alliance web page.
- To engage with local people living with dementia, their families, friends and carers.
- To launch the Alliance within the community.
- To raise dementia awareness.
- To establish a legal structure to manage finances and fund raising.
- To recognise and celebrate the successful actions of the Alliance.
Fiona Palmer - Service Lead for Mental Health and Wellbeing, BSEVC
Sue Calver of Babergh and Mid Suffolk Council and Fiona Palmer of United Response were both involved in the commencement of Hadleigh DAA. Sue still has involvement however Fiona felt she could be more proactive and involved in helping to create Stowmarket as a Dementia Friendly Community – this being due to knowledge and existing connections with Stowmarket Town.
Contact was then made with Alzheimer’s Society, Sue Ryder, and Age UK to ensure there was an interest to proceed. This very much was the case and a steering group has been formed in July with a launch planned for October/November.
Our first meeting was held on 2 July 2015 and we plan to hold regular meetings to ensure the successful launch and progress of Stowmarket and its surrounding villages through the recognition process to become a Dementia Friendly Community
How to join the LDAA
To join Stowmarket DAA or for more information please contact: Fiona Palmer on:
- Achieving Aspirations Community Interest Company
- Age UK Suffolk
- Ageing with Optimism
- Alzheimer's Society
- Babergh and Mid Suffolk District Council
- Care UK
- Cedars Hotel Stowmarket
- Citizens Advice Mid Suffolk
- East of England Ambulance Service NHS Trust
- East of England Coop
- Hillcroft House, Healthcare Homes Group Ltd
- Home Freedom Partnership Mears Group plc
- Leading Lives
- Mid Suffolk Leisure Centre/Everyone Active
- Museum of East Anglian Life
- Orwell housing
- Phoenix Counselling Practice
- Red Gables (Mid Suffolk Organisations Forum)
- south suffolk leisure
- Stowmarket Library - Suffolk Libraries IPS Ltd
- Stowmarket Rookery Community Bowls Group
- Stowmarket Town Council
- Sue Ryder - The Chantry
- Suffolk Artlink
- Suffolk Axis
- Suffolk Brokerage
- Suffolk Family Carers
- Suffolk Mind
- Suffolk Young Dementia Network
- The Gladstone Arms
- The Regal Stowmarket
- Thornham Walks
- United Response
- Yasmine Van Owen Life Skills Therapist