Chichester Dementia Action Alliance
In 2012, a dementia forum was formed which linked both Chichester and Bognor together. The forums ran on a quarterly basis. The aim was to bring together organisations to share good practice and to develop services which met the needs of people with dementia and their carers.
To work in partnership with people with dementia and their carers, and ensure they provide a focus for all activities undertaken. Promote and sustain Bognor Regis and Chichester as Dementia Friendly communities. In addition, share ideas and best practice during the development of dementia friendly communities in Selsey and Midhurst and other surrounding areas.
Services should also be made available to people who do not have a formal diagnosis of dementia, as well as those that have a formal diagnosis.
- Take forward priority service improvements as determined by the National Dementia Strategy and local priorities
- Be outward facing reaching people with needs and those providing/commissioning services
- Highlight the most significant range and type of needs of people with dementia and their carers
- Map onto the above needs the services currently offered
- Identify gaps or issues in service provision
- Ensure every professional/organisation has the same full picture of services
- Take steps on a priority basis to fill those gaps and tackle the issues
- Consider funding sources to meet increased services
- Improve service links and coordination, avoiding duplication
- Support professional growth, using joint training to improve understanding of and response to dementia
- Understand the national and local planning and funding context within which we work and contribute as appropriate
Different activity groups have set up as direct result of the feedback of people with dementia and their careers, providing a number of activities for people with dementia and their careers with over 70 people attending some events, including;
Pub quizzes, Lunch groups and lunches out, Pallant House Art Gallery have run a number of workshops, Canal trip, Theatre and cinema visits.
Local coordination of dementia friend’s sessions to ensure sessions are widely delivered across Bognor and Chichester.
Partnership working with MIND and Time Aside Sensory Art to provide workshops.
We have an open calendar of events that all members can access and this ensures that planning of events does not conflict with other planned events.
Feedback from people with dementia –
“I look forward to the events and chatting to new found friends.”
“Having met people like me through the events I am more positive about the future and feel more supported.”
Feedback from carers –
“Just wanted to thank you for such a wonderful evening at Kings Theatre. Dad kept saying it was marvellous and every time I looked at him, he was beaming.”
“To see him interacting and recalling his childhood books was fantastic and I learnt a little bit about his youth which I didn't know.”
Dr Sue Craig
Every twice a year at the Dementia Hub @ Tangmere
How to join:
Dates and times of meetings can be accessed by emailing Isabelle Surrell see below.
Email Isabelle Surrell : email@example.com
- Age UK West Sussex Brighton & Hove
- Aldingbourne Trust
- Alzheimer's Society West Sussex
- Berkeley Home Health
- Big River Ltd
- Burlington Nursing and Residential Home
- Cameron James Legal
- Carers Support West Sussex
- Chichester Area Mental Health Support Foundation - Chichester Lunch Club
- Chichester Cathedral
- Chichester District Council
- Chichester Festival Theatre
- Chichester Library
- Coastal West Sussex Mind
- Creative Mojo Chichester & Havant
- Crossroads Care South Central
- Dawns Vintage Do
- Dementia Support
- East Clayton Farm
- Everyone Active Westgate Leisure
- Hanover Housing
- Home Instead Senior Care, Chichester & Bognor Regis
- Housing & Care 21 Crawley
- Irwin Mitchell
- Maywood Surgery
- Pallant House Gallery
- Q Hair & Beauty Ltd
- Southern Synod of the United Reformed Church
- Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation and Teaching Trust
- Sussex Police
- Tangmere Primary Academy
- The Good Care Group
- The Owen Kenny Partnership Solicitors
- West Sussex County Council