Swindon Dementia Action Alliance
Registered as a Dementia Friendly Community
The Swindon Dementia Action Alliance was formed in 2014 and is our community response to make Swindon more dementia friendly, improving the support and services available to people living with dementia and their carers in their local community.
Aim & Vision
The vision for our local alliance is:
People with dementia want a community that supports them to:
- Find their way around and feel safe, but not embarrassed.
- Carry on doing the same things they have always done – like going to the shops, getting on a bus, using a library or theatre, playing sport, or just sitting in the park.
- Keep in touch and feel they still belong to the community.
We want to create a community in Swindon that realises the aspirations of people with dementia to live normal lives in a supportive, caring environment.
Areas of Action
The following areas of action have been identified to develop in the first instance:
- Ongoing and meaningful dialogue with people living with dementia and carers.
- Improving access to dementia friendly activities.
- Improving access to Swindon Borough Council Services .
- Engagement with and training local businesses to be ‘dementia friendly’.
- Improving the awareness of Emergency Services to the particular needs of people with dementia.
- Public Information & Education Programmes.
- Media Engagement/Community Engagement.
The Swindon DAA has a more detailed business plan to support the achievement of these areas.
Chair & Steering Group
The Chair of the Swindon Dementia Action Alliance is Alison Griffiths, a solicitor specialising in older peoples legal issues.
The Steering Group of the Swindon Dementia Action Alliance comprises:
- Two members living with dementia
- Abbey House Care Home
- Alzheimer’s Society
- Downs View Care Home
- Hoffman Briggs Solicitors
- Home Instead Senior Care
- Outside Clinic
- Swindon Borough Council
- Swindon Carers
- Swindon Libraries Service
- Wiltshire Police
- Wyvern Theatre
The Swindon DAA meets every two months at the Wyvern Theatre, Swindon
How to Join
We wish to encourage as many organisations and individuals as possible to join the Alliance. However, we do not wish membership to be administratively onerous or bureaucratic. We understand that a small, positive change by a larger number of people is preferable to a big change by a few. Those larger organisations with a strong commitment to the Alliance will be invited to complete a formal Dementia Action Alliance Action Plan in the nationally prescribed format. Smaller organisations and businesses along with individuals will be invited to sign a commitment to the principles of the Swindon Local Dementia Action Alliance in order to be recognised as a local participant/member.
To Get Involved:
- Commit to make changes to your business, service or activity to make it more ‘dementia friendly’.
- Encourage your friends, family and staff members to become a ‘Dementia Friend’.
- Join the Swindon Dementia Action Alliance as an active participant to bring new ideas to our group.
For more information contact Susan Lambert, Dementia Friendly Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org : 07980 933636.