Swanage Area Dementia Friendly Community
Singing For Pleasure - a singing group open to all held on 2nd and 4th Thursday at 2pm in Hillside Room, Emmanuel Baptist Church
- To raise awareness and understanding of Dementia in the Swanage Area
- Sharing best practice and understanding
- To create a safe and non stigmatising community where people with dementia can live well
- To create an environment where the carer and person with dementia can seek appropriate help and support
- to raise funds for an Admiral Nurse within the Purbeck area.
Mrs Jean Gibbs is the Chair of the Swanage Area Dementia Friendly Community having had personal and community knowledge of dementia. Jean is a retired head teacher of children with special needs.
We have 36 members including the local Mayor, Health Centre, Library, Care Homes, Churches, Dorset CCG, Tourist Board, Police, Rotary, Lions and those with a family member with dementia.
Now run a fortnightly community singing group in local church room
- 22nd October – Dementia Friends Training Session – Rotary, Conservative Club, 7pm
- 23rd October - Steering Group meeting – Town Hall – 5pm
- 27th November - Committee Meeting – Town Hall – 5pm
- 15th January - Launch sub committee planning meeting – Town Hntall 5pm
- 5th February – Dementia Friends Training Session – Swanage Library.
- 26th February - Committee Meeting - Town Hall - 5pm
- 9th March - Presentation to Swanage Town Council - Mowlem Community Room - 7
- 26th March - Committee Meeting - Swanage Fire Station - 5pm
- 14th May - Committee Meeting - Swanage Fire Station - 5pm
Swanage Library - 10.30am to 2.30pm
Help us to raise awareness - Come and share your knowledge of dementia - Local companies and services displays - Tea/Coffee and light refreshments - Celebrity guest and entertainment.
Monday 18th May - Cream Tea and information - Beach Hut 21 - Swanage Beach - 2.30 to 3.30pm
Tuesday 19th, Wednesday 20th & Friday 22nd May - Drop in for information at Beach Hut 21 - 2.30pm to 3.30pm
Thursday 21st May - Art Workshop with Suzanne Dominey - 10.30am to 2.30am
Wednesday 20th May - Swanage Medical Centre - all day drop in for information and help
Wednesday 20th May - 'Making Swanage Dementia Friendly' presentation and film at Emmanuel Community Centre, Victoria Avenue, Swanage. doors open at 6.30pm
Awareness Sessions: Thursday 28th May at Swanage Fire Station.
Grand Tea Party
Thursday 19th May at Purbeck House Hotel 2.15pm to 4.30pm Cream tea - Maypole dancing - Musical entertainment
Saturday 14th May at Charborough Park, Nr Wareham - walk in the rhododendron and azalea park followed by cream tea. from 2.30pm to 4.30pm
Next Committee meeting:
Thursday 19th February at Swanage Fire Station from 5pm
How to become part of the local alliance
Any organisation or member of the public in the Swanage area is able to join the local alliance.