Dementia Care & Support Compact
This Dementia Care & Support Compact is our response to the Prime Minister’s Challenge on Dementia. It sets out our commitment to supporting the delivery of the National Dementia Strategy and improving care and support for people with dementia, their carers and families.
We challenge the perceptions surrounding social care services for people with dementia. Our services will provide the right care, in the right place, at the right time.
People with dementia using our services will be able to say:
- I am respected as an individual
- I get the care and support which enables me to live well with my dementia
- Those around me and looking after me are well supported and understand how to maximise my independence
- I am treated with dignity and respect
- I know what I can do to help myself and who else can help me
- I can enjoy life
- I feel part of a community and I am inspired to participate in community life
- I am confident that my end-of-life wishes will be respected. I can expect a good death
- Focus on quality of life for people with dementia, as well as quality of care. By knowing the person, their life history and their personal culture, our staff will deliver a personalised package of care and support
- Set a benchmark for high quality, relationship-based care and support for people with dementia. We will inspire and encourage our sector to take responsibility for delivering this, building on existing good practice
- Engage and involve the wider community to improve their support for people with dementia, including GPs and healthcare professionals
- Play our part in supporting the wider community, sharing the knowledge and skills of our staff, and inviting people into our care settings
- Work with commissioners of care for people with dementia to ensure they commission quality care services appropriately; and
- Clearly set out how we have delivered on this Compact to make a difference for people with dementia, their carers and families. This will link into the work on quality and transparency being taken forward as part of the Care & Support White Paper.
To sign up to the Dementia Care & Support Compact download our care home guidance note from: Residential care home sector guidance
To view a longer list of actions to undertake to fulfil the Compact go to: Dementia Self Assessment Form.
If you want to find out more about the Prime Minister’s Challenge on Dementia, then please click on the following link: http://dementiachallenge.dh.gov.uk/about-the-challenge/