Rochester Literature Festival
The Rochester Literature Festival is a voluntary, community and non-profit making organisation run by writers for readers, writers and like minds. We want to expand the horizons of the many diverse communities in Medway, and collaborate with like minded folk to do that. Our aim is to prove that literature is for everyone and can bring a community together, to learn from each other and experience great multi-arts activities together to aid community spirit and wellbeing. We have just recently received funding to work on a ‘Memory Box’ project at a local almshouses and are looking to expand on this with other older people’s groups. We run activities at community fun days too, including attending a local Older People’s Day to capture memories.
- 2 October 2015
- South East
- Local Alliances:
- Medway Dementia Action Alliance
1. Action Plan
1. The National Dementia Declaration lists seven outcomes that the DAA are seeking to achieve for people with dementia and their carers. How would you describe your organisation’s role in delivering better outcomes for people with dementia and their carers?
We would like to run regular activity with older people’s groups, like the Memory Box project, butalso creative writing workshops and perhaps book clubs. We will take the lead from groups we visitto engage as many people as possible within a framework that works for them.
2. What are the challenges to delivering these outcomes from the perspective of your organisation?
1. Few, if any, of the core volunteers who deliver activity are experienced in working withpeople living with dementia or any other condition.
2. As a voluntary group, while we do put a lot of our free time into organising events, we allwork and therefore would have to source funding to be able to take time off to expand ouractivities.
Improve our understanding of Dementia
We will arrange for volunteers involved in any project to attend the localawareness sessions as soon as possible.
Source funding in order to deliver activity.
I’m already listing various funders whose grant schemes support with therelevant target groups. Once this year’s festival is over I will be spending two monthsworking on logistics and strategy for the long term.
- Initial Scoping
The Memory Box.
Helping older people’s groups recall and capture their memories anddigitally archive them, along with craft sessions to create physical keepsakes to keep in apersonalised ‘Memory Box’ with other mementos. We will ensure that the groups’ own staff are aware of the DAA and in promoting the project to various groups and in the press, willendeavour to raise awareness of dementia.