York Dementia Action Alliance
York Dementia Action Alliance was established in 2013 and developed from a Joseph Rowntree Foundation action research project called ‘Dementia Without Walls’. The researchers worked with local people with dementia and their carers and families to find out what living in York means to them and in particular what makes life good and what makes it more difficult.
York Dementia Action Alliance has built on the report's initial recommendations around raising awareness and tackling stigma, training and education so that service in shops, banks, transport etc is enhanced, enabling people to live well and engage in their communities.
A wide range of diverse partners from business, statutory and voluntary organisations are now part of York Dementia Action Alliance, providing a strong network of people working towards York being a 'dementia friendly' city.
York DAA Vision
York Dementia Action Alliance recently developed a vision for the actions needed to make York a good place to live for people with dementia and their carers.
The vision has four strands consisting of:
- Raising awareness about dementia and tackling stigma and discrimination.
- Increasing involvement of people with dementia in creating a dementia friendly city.
- Being a hub for communication, information and knowledge about dementia and what makes a community dementia friendly.
- Helping to raise standards of service and resources available to people with dementia.
Joining York DAA
If you would like to be part of making a change to the lives of people living with dementia in York you can get involved and become a member of the York Dementia Action Alliance.
To join the DAA please complete an action plan here
Members will be given a logo to display to show their commitment. You will also be invited to York DAA meetings periodically, and receive the newsletter. York DAA may contact you occasionally to discuss how you are doing and offer any support.
If you would like any help with completing your action plan or have any questions , please contact:
Helen Mayor, Dementia Action Coordinator, York CVS
- Age UK York
- Alzheimer's Society - Selby and York
- Ardent Financial Planning
- Aroma Coffee Shop
- Bluebird Care (York)
- British Transport Police - North East Region
- Business Support York & North Yorkshire
- City of York Council
- City of York Council - Sport & Active Leisure
- City of York Housing Services
- Community Links (Northern)
- Community Pharmacy North Yorkshire
- Craig Solicitors
- Dementia Forward
- East Coast Mainline Limited (York Station)
- Ebor Court - Ideal Care Homes
- Fenwick Limited (York)
- Fleetways Taxis
- Glossa Ltd
- Halifax Community Bank
- Harrowells Solicitors
- Haxby Group Practice
- Haxby Helpers
- Healthwatch York
- Heart Medical
- Home Instead Senior Care - York
- Joseph Rowntree Foundation/Joseph Rowntree Housing Trust
- Leeds & York Partnership NHS Trust
- National Railway Chaplaincy Service
- New Earswick & District indoor Bowls Club
- North Yorkshire Sport Ltd
- Older Citizens Advocacy York (OCAY)
- Penderels Trust (Wakefield)
- Riccall Care
- Roche Legal
- Sainsbury's, Haxby, York
- Silver Song Box
- Skills for Care Yorkshire & Humber
- Specsavers York
- The Avalon Group
- Two Ridings Community Foundation
- Visit York
- York Advocacy
- York Carers Centre
- York Carers Forum
- York Castle Musuem
- York City FC
- York City FC Foundation
- York Hospitals NHS Trust
- York Older People’s Assembly
- Yorkshire Housing