Bodmin Dementia Action Alliance
Registered as a Dementia Friendly Community
The enthusiasm for developing Bodmin Dementia Action Alliance came, initially, from a presentation by representatives from the Dementia Action Alliance to Bodmin Town Council. Following the presentation the Council was keen to hold an initial meeting to determine the appetite within the community to establish Bodmin as a Dementia Action Alliance. Supported by the Dementia Action Alliance the meeting was well attended and the decision was made to form a Steering Group to co-ordinate and support Bodmin to become a Dementia Friendly Community.
With organisations and communities coming together to form local Alliances there is an ambition that dementia friendly communities will develop to improve awareness and understanding of dementia with the result that people living with dementia, and their carers, are supported to remain independent and have choice and control over their lives.
The aims of Bodmin Dementia Action Alliance are to:
- Consult with, and involve, people living with dementia, and their carers, to understand what a Dementia Friendly Community is.
- Value, and utilise, the experience and skills people living with dementia, and their carers, can offer to the community.
- Support, and encourage, activities and events in Bodmin to be inclusive of people living with dementia.
- Provide a forum where people can meet to share best practice and ideas that assist people living with dementia to live the life they choose.
- Encourage businesses, and organisations, from all sectors, to become members of Bodmin Dementia Action Alliance.
- Hold a launch event to raise awareness and encourage involvement.
- Provide dementia friends awareness sessions to the community.
- Become a recognised dementia friendly community
- Steering Group established members include people living with dementia and carers, statutory and third sector partners and members of the public
- MP and Town Council support
- Draft constitution developed
- Meetings held
- Actions identified
- Events published on Bodmin Town Council Visitor Information website
Meetings are held every two months in the Shire House Suite in Bodmin
How to join the LDAA
Contact Councillor Sara Kinsman: firstname.lastname@example.org
0791 777 4158