Crawley Dementia Action Alliance
Crawley Dementia Alliance is a collective group of local organisations whose aim is to support and improve the quality of life for people who live in Crawley and who are affected by any form of dementia or cognitive impairment – whether as a patient or carer.
In addition, the aim is raise awareness and to normalise the condition, ensuring that existing services are dementia-friendly.
Our Vision statement reads;
Crawley – a town where people living with dementia, their families and carers are able to live well and get the support they need to ensure everyday life and the pursuit of leisure and cultural activities are made easy
Crawley Dementia Alliance is partnership managed. Co-leads are:
- Dr Laura Hill / Tim Moore – Crawley CCG
- Malcom Bray – West Sussex County Council (Public Health)
- Carrie Burton – Crawley Borough Council
Crawley Dementia Alliance came into being as an off-shoot of Crawley Health and Wellbeing Partnership, when it became clear that the needs of older people and their families were a priority. The health and wellbeing partnership was developed in 2008/9 and the alliance was developed in 2011.
In 2012 the alliance was awarded funding from the Prime Ministers Dementia Challenge, working towards a Dementia Friendly Crawley and was recognised as one of the 12 early-adopters of dementia-friendly communities.
Continuing to develop the alliance. Over 50 associated organisations have been involved from public and voluntary sector, private business, transport, retail, banking, leisure, education, health and social care and many other interested parties. This has included larger local companies such as Thales and HVMS Power Engineering
People living with dementia, their families and carers are at the heart of the alliance and we always include them in the direction that the alliance takes
A number of ‘dementia friendly’ events have taken place across the town:
- Summer concerts
- Christmas concerts
- Living Well days at the local leisure centre and libraries
- Support groups
- Carers and secondary carer support groups
- Metrobus the local bus company have made all staff Dementia Friends and included this as part of their induction training as well as creating dementia safe havens at their travel shop
- Increased awareness across the town, creating over 1,000 Dementia Friends
- 150 council staff attended Dementia Friends sessions in one day at 9 back-to-back sessions
- Crawley Town Football Club are creating a dementia friendly men’s group
- Developing a dementia friendly Men In Sheds
- Dementia Friendly Crawley was the Winner of the Local Initiative Award at the National Dementia Friendly Awards 2014
Crawley Dementia Alliance meets monthly – all are welcome.
In addition, there is an annual stakeholder event each autumn.
01293 585317 – General Enquiries
01293 438163 – Support Officer – Crawley Dementia Alliance
- Administrator - Crawley DAA
- Age UK West Sussex
- Alzheimer's Society West Sussex North
- Berkeley Home Health
- Big River Ltd
- Crossroads Care South Central
- First Community Health & Care CIC
- Hanover Housing
- Home Instead Senior Care Ltd.
- Housing & Care 21 Crawley
- Ifield Park Care Home
- Leacroft Medical Practice
- Mid Sussex District Council
- St Margaret's Church
- Surrey & Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust
- West Sussex County Council
- West Sussex libraries